Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Training for Philadelphia {Week 1}

Cue the Rocky music now (I promise I'll only use that line once or seven times in the next 4 months).

While I may have posted at the beginning of the month that my training had officially started, according to Hal Higdon, it really didn't start until last week.  I've decided to use a modified version of his Novice 1 schedule, an 18 week program. Basically, I've moved around the days I'm running and added in an extra cross training day so I can continue twice a week boot camp sessions (more on my amazing boot camp in another post, I promise).

I like Hal Higdon's schedule because it requires 2 rest days.  I feel like so many of the plans I was looking at scheduled 6 days of running. While that may work for some people, I know I would get burned out pretty quickly on that schedule.

Here's how Week 1 went for me:

Monday - 3 miles

One of my favorite places to run in San Diego is down at Mission Beach boardwalk.  It's flat, it's simple, and it provides endless people watching opportunities, especially during the summer.  I know the mile markers like the back of my hand, so I don't spend so much time stressing over my watch or even my pace. 


Tuesday - Cross

Mission Fit Camp is a comprehensive fitness boot camp that I've been participating in since Spring 2011.  It's what got my butt in gear in the first place, and I love going every week.  Tuesday classes focus on biceps, triceps and a cardio circuit.  I have finished class on many a Tuesday wondering how I will blowdry my hair on Wednesday.  I'd say that's a success.

Wednesday - Cross & 1.5 miles (walking)

Because I had plans on Thursday evening, I went to fit camp on Wednesday instead.  Wednesday classes focus on legs, shoulders and agility training.  Think squats, lunges, shoulder presses and obstacle courses.  After I finished, I attempted to get in some miles at Balboa Park (my other favorite running venue in San Diego), but my legs weren't feeling it.  I walked through the park, instead, to stretch out my legs. 

Thursday - 3 miles

I returned to Balboa Park on Thursday to finish what I started on Wednesday.  Though I love the park, I find that I have become a bit bored with my typical 3 mile loop, so I changed it up a bit.  There are so many paths and directions you can go in the park it doesn't matter if you want to get 1 mile or 6 miles in. 
Instagram summary: miles, architecture & a downtown view

Friday - Rest

I enjoyed this.

Saturday - 7 miles (6 miles planned)

My first long run of the training cycle called for a 6 mile run.  This isn't so bad since I'm used to do 5-6 milers every so often.  My friend Kacey is training for the New York Marathon, so I figured she might also be running longer miles on Saturday.  And, of course, she was! We decided to meet (at the insane time of 6:45am) on Saturday morning at Mission Beach and see where the morning took us.  This was probably one of the easiest longer runs I have done in forever.  Kacey doesn't care about mile markers, or pace, or how much distance is left.  She just sets her watch for a particular amount of time that should be about how far she needs to go, and just starts running.  I like her style.  We talked about anything and everything: race mishaps, babies, running outfits, what we were going to eat for breakfast. And before I knew it, we had done 7 miles.  I will *definitely* be calling her again when I get up into the double digits. 

 Taken on a different day, but same amazing view.

Sunday - Rest

I had planned on going to a free boot camp on Sunday morning, but instead I decided to sleep in and walk to pick up my car from where bachelorette festivities had begun on Saturday afternoon.  A nice leisurely mile walk finished off by iced coffee & a bagel was just what I needed to end the week. 
Wine tasting is the best form of bachelorette celebration.


------

I'm traveling for my high school reunion this week, and will be home on the east coast for 6 days.  I'm not going to lie, I am a little worried of getting in the miles in the midst of east coast humidity and catching up with friends.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment