Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Month I Became Too Busy to Blog: Training for Philadelphia {Weeks7-11}

Well hello there. Nice to see you again, blog. It's been a while.

The end of August and the entire month of September just disappeared in a complete blur.  Whether it is because it was the beginning of the semester, or the fact that I over committed myself, it doesn't matter. I was just plain busy.  While I may not have stuck to the training plan word for word, I did do a decent job.  Instead of typing out 5 weeks of extensive training recaps, here is the highlight reel:

I returned from Europe the day before our fall semester began at work.  Nothing like returning to campus with thousands of students who don't know how to drive or get to class on time.  San Diego also decided this would be prime time to push up the heat and bring in a good old fashioned August heat wave.  I was not thankful.  I spent the majority of this week running on the beach after dinner to escape the heat. Labor Day weekend typically signals the end of summer for most people.  Unless you live in southern California. For us, it usually means summer is just getting started, as September can sometimes be the hottest month.

Mission Bay long run: otherwise known as the day Fiesta Island stole my soul.
Weekly Highlights:
That time I figured it would be "fun" to do my long run around the Fiesta Island.  This was the worst idea I had ever had.  Not only was it 80 degrees with 80 percent humidity by 8 a.m., but every cyclist in San Diego decided it would be a good time to ruin my self esteem and pass me 20 times while I jogged as slow as humanly possible the 6 miles around the island. Never again. 

Total Planned Mileage: 24 
Total Actual Mileage: 20

The first week of September was hot. My long run that Saturday was supposed to be 13 miles.  Already growing tired of my normal running routes, I decided to be creative. I looked up the course for the America's Finest City Half Marathon, which takes place in August every year in San Diego.  I haven't been able to run this race because I've been traveling for work the past 2 years when it occurs, so I was excited to run it solo.  I modified the course a bit, and started in Ocean Beach.  The course runs through Point Loma, into downtown via the airport and then up the hill into Balboa Park.  Something about running from the beach to Balboa made me feel like a bad ass.
Midweek run in Mission Bay: Before and after sunset. Autumn is coming!
Started at the beach & ended at the park.

Weekly Highlights:
One of my best friends in San Diego just had a baby in August. I spent Labor Day visiting with this cutie and her mom.  I officially hold the title of Auntie, which makes me feel special since I'm an only child and this is as close as I might get to being an Aunt.  I'm obsessed with her and can't wait to watch her grow up. 
Isn't she adorable?? The baby, not me. Obviously.

Total Planned Mileage: 25
Total Actual Mileage: 21

One of my roommates from college got married during Week 9 of training. I was determined for it to not throw me off too much.  The wedding took place in Chico, where I went to college.  I was so excited to get up to Chico for a long weekend. Not only because of the wedding, but also to relive those college days.  I did a great job of keeping up with weekly mileage early in the week just in case I wasn't able to get my long run in on Saturday (the day of the wedding).  Because I knew I would not be able to run on Thursday, as my plan called for, I doubled up on Wednesday.  4 miles in the morning and 7 in the evening.  This was perfect, since I was going to be running the Ragnar Relay (spoiler alert) the following week.  I figured it would be good to get my legs ready for running longer distances back to back.  While I wasn't able to get in my 10 miler on Saturday, I did however get in 2 shorter runs with the bride on Friday and Saturday.  They were just what the doctor ordered for keeping her low stress.  And I loved being able to run in Chico.  Bidwell Park is one of the best places to run, I've decided. So beautiful, calm and quiet early in the morning.
Bidwell Park: early morning shakeout run
Reliving college days
Rehearsal dinner: pizza & beer. Best combination.

Weekly Highlights:
One of my best friends got married and I was privileged enough to be in the wedding.  Her wedding was beautiful and I may or may not copy every detail if and when I get married.
Getting ready: Beautiful bride!
Photobooth: Every wedding needs one. 

Total Planned Mileage: 24
Total Actual Mileage: 20

Week 10, otherwise known as the week I wasn't feeling it.  The Chico Wedding Weekend knocked me out. I went to fit camp twice this week, but running just wasn't on my agenda. I did a mile on Monday before I decided I was done and walked back to the car.  I was a repeat offender on Wednesday when I went out to Mission Bay for a 7 miler around the bay and made it 2 miles before I decided I walk back while catching up with my mom on the phone. And I didn't even pretend to attempt running on Thursday, as I was driving 10 hours up to San Francisco that night right after work.  I did, however, succeed in completing my first Ragnar Relay experience.  Along with 12 other runners (only 1 of which I knew before that Friday morning) I successfully ran 200 miles from Golden Gate Park in San Francisco to Calistoga through wine country.  Running through the rain at midnight in Santa Rosa is one of those things I'll never forget.  I will, hopefully, soon forget how horrible it is to sleep in the front seat of a van. I finished on Saturday afternoon asking "when can we do this again?".
Start line in Golden Gate Park. Complete with San Francisco Fog.
Finish line in Calistoga. We made it!

Weekly Highlights:
RAGNAR RELAY! I will do a full recap of this race soon, I promise. No really.  This was such an amazing experience and everyone should do one, regardless of your running abilities.  

Total Planned Mileage: 29
Total Actual Mileage: 18 (ouch)

Week 11: Whoops. One of my favorite bands came to town this week. I'll go ahead and throw away my reputation now, and tell you that this band's name is Hanson.  Moving on.  Anyway, they were playing in San Diego and Los Angeles throughout the week and I wanted to see them every chance I could. They put on a great live show.  Because of this, I only ran on Monday night. And then again on Saturday for my long run.  I saw this week as my last hoorah before my training plan pumped up the intensity.  I hope I don't regret it later.  BUT, if you're ever wondering how to tire out your legs to simulate a week full of running, just stand on your feet at a general admission standing room only concert 3 nights in a row.  Trust me, it works.

Looking tired but happy. Concert day 3 of 3.

Weekly Highlights:
Lack of sleep and driving to and from Los Angeles twice in 2 days.  But really, it was hanging out with friends I haven't seen in months and listening to some of my favorite music.

Total Planned Mileage: 32
Total Actual Mileage: 16 (double ouch)

So the moral of the story is: Don't over plan your life. Think about what it really means to travel between southern and northern California two weekends in a row. And register for the next available Ragnar Relay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment