Thursday, October 24, 2013

Serious Increases in Weekly Long Runs: Training for Philadelphia {Weeks12-14)

The beginning of October has come and gone and I can successfully say I have completed my first long run! The past two weeks of training have been awesome. While I may not have followed my weekly training schedule completely, I have made it a point to get in my long runs on Saturdays.  After an extremely busy summer and even busier September, I was excited to be home with very little weekend plans for the entire month of October. Training has definitely taken over my life, and I'm kind of OK with that.  As I get closer and closer to race day, I feel like I'm living, breathing, sleeping, eating all things running.  I love it.

So here's how it's been going:

Week 12: After, effectively, a week off, I knew I had to kick it up a notch. Fit Camp was on a break week this week, so I dedicated my time to running in the evenings after work.  I've been working hard to switch up my running routes to keep things interesting.  I ventured over to Coronado on Wednesday for my longer mid-week run.  I've done a few races in Coronado over the years and really enjoy the island.  The weather cooled in the first week of October, so it felt great! The houses on Coronado are a welcome distraction as well.
Coronado Island circumnavigation

My long run on Saturday was a "quick" 12 miles. Growing tired of Mission Bay, I decided to head downtown and run along the bay. I started in Shelter Island just after sunrise and ran along the bay to Seaport Village. 6 miles out and 6 miles back.  I think I'm a fan of out and back courses as opposed to a loop.  Psychologically I can compartmentalize the distance better.  There were running groups galore along the way to keep me company. This was the first Saturday I finished feeling great. Perfectly hydrated and perfectly mastered nutrition.
Hazy early morning view of downtown San Diego

I ran home quickly and got ready to celebrate my roommate's recent engagement. Yay for 2014 weddings!

Week 13: I'm officially a fan of running in the rain. I know that sounds weird, but it's so true. It rained on Wednesday this week, the day of the week I run the longest (other than Saturdays). And I couldn't wait to get out of work to get outside in the rain for a calming, quiet run through the puddles at Lake Murray. I ran the first 3 miles by myself and then met up with a friend for the 6 miles around the lake.  I started out in a torrential downpour and with severe gusts of wind. And I loved it. Frankie managed to miss the passing storm and the rest of the run was clear (with a few rainbows).
Double rainbows and running in the rain.

18 miles.  Saturday called for 18 miles, the longest I have ran to date.  I'm not going to lie and say I wasn't scared. I was looking forward to this run, though, to try out my potential nutrition plan and intervals.  This run felt awesome. I started at Shelter Island again and basically did the same run as the previous week, just adding on a roundtrip visit on Harbor Island, and extending out to the end of the Embarcadero.  I've come to realize that my motto should be "slow and steady finishes the race". I don't worry about my speed or how many miles I've finished and have still to go. I just keep moving.  I've also realized that I love listening to country music on long runs.  Typically I'm rocking out to high intensity dance music. I think that spikes my adrenaline too much to listen to it for 3 1/2 hours.  Good thing I have headphones. Anyway, I finished this run feeling pretty great. Yes, my legs were tired and starting to get a bit tight. But I felt like I could keep going if I wanted. Good thing, since I'll have to keep going on race day.... for another 8.2 miles.
Feeling accomplished!

Week 14: I started out week 14 taking a break from my schedule Monday run to attend a running workshop.  My trainer works with the local running store and they offered to hold a clinic to answer any questions her clients might have about running.  Growing up, I've always been the non-athletic one, picked last for gym with no expectations for being good at anything.  On Monday, I realized that I am on my way to becoming an athlete, a runner. I want to learn everything I can about this sport and find it so gratifying to succeed in achieving new distances and new goals.

The weather was absolutely beautiful this week. Southern Californians are familiar with the marine layer. It's like a pesky neighbor that doesn't know when to leave. Well this week, there was no marine layer to speak of.  I ran at the beach on Wednesday night. I experienced the most beautiful sunset. It was almost a religious experience. I love San Diegans at the beach during sunset. We're not tourists or out of towners. We may even live 2 blocks from the beach. Yet, all of us, no matter what, stop what we are doing for the 5 minutes before sunset to watch it fall slowly below the horizon.  And cheer as it disappears.  Everyone on the boardwalk did this. Just a momentary break to take in the moment, and then continue along your way.  You would think this didn't happen every day.  It's not like it's an eclipse. Still beautiful, though. 


I only had 14 miles to run on Saturday.  You know you're in the thick of it with marathon training when 14 miles doesn't sound like a lot. Absolutely ridiculous.  So in anticipation (but not really) on Friday, my roommate and I carved pumpkins and consumed a ridiculous amount of wine. I may or may not have finished 2 bottles of Pinot Noir. Proper hydration, what? Of course Hocus Pocus was also involved.
#TGIF

I had the awesome idea to run from Mission Beach to La Jolla on Saturday.  It was going well all the way to La Jolla (though the Pinot decision was not ideal), but on the return trip I lost all steam.  4 miles of walking is boring. Just saying. At least it's over.

On Sunday, I got to hang out with this cute kid and her mom. Great way to end the week! 
She's still not sure about me. 
Up next: 22 miles!



No comments:

Post a Comment